Monday, December 21, 2015

Two Stretches for Lower Back Stiffness

Ever get up with a stiff back?  If so, try these two stretches below after a 10 minute walk to warm-up your muscles.



Lower Back Stretch

Lie on your back, and fully extend your body.   Bend your knees, and bring them in front of you to a position where you can reach them with your hands.  Firmly grasp your knees, and gently pull them toward your chest until you feel the stretch in your lower back.  Hold that position for 30 seconds.  Breathe normally.

Hip and Oblique



Lie on your back, and fully extend your body.  Bend your knees and bring your feet close to your butt.  Place one ankle over the knee of the opposite leg.  Slowly rotate your body in the direction of your crossed leg, while keeping your shoulders flat on the floor until you feel the stretch in your hip and oblique.  Hold this position for 30 seconds then, relax and do the other side.  Breathe normally.

Strength training is the best form of exercise you can do to maintain your muscle mass and strength as you age.  Trust me, I'm in my 50s and I strength train 3 to 4 times each week, and I'm as fit and strong as ever.  You can download my strength training programs by clicking on this link: Forever Fit and Firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think. All comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you