I'm an ACE certified personal trainer and I specialize in fitness over the age of 40. I hear and see far too many people over 40 years of age blame their aches, pains, and poor physical condition on "getting old", when most of their physical calamities are the result of years of inactivity and bad lifestyle choices.
I believe that getting old has less to do with years and more to do with your attitude and the daily choices you make. Imagine your body being healthy, strong, and fit as you grow older and this will lead you to make the healthy choices to manifest the the healthy, strong, and fit life you want no matter what age.
What's more compelling than an example to show you that you can be healthy, strong, and fit in your 40s, 50s, and beyond. Here is my workout routine I did yesterday. It was a heavy lifting day for my shoulders and back, so I did the following:
- Lateral shoulder raises, 3 sets of 5 repetitions with 60 lb dumbbells.
- Overhead shoulder presses, 3 sets of 5 repetitions with 80 lb dumbbells.
- Shoulder shrugs, 3 sets of 5 repetitions with 315 lbs.
- Bent over dumbbell rows, 3 sets of 5 repetitions with a 150 lb dumbbell.
- Weighted pullups, 3 sets of 5 repetitions with 35 lbs attached to my waist.
- Lat pulls, 3 sets of 5 repetitions with 270 lbs.