Saturday, May 25, 2013

Inspitation over 50, Walt

Recently while working out, I looked across the gym and  I saw a guy doing hand stand pushups.  This has always amazed me, so I walked over to compliment this guy on the total body strength that it took to perform that movement.  I was even more amazed when I found out that he was over 50 years old!  So, let me introduce you to Walt, a great inspiration to all the Baby Boomers.
 























Me: Where were you born and where did you grow-up?

Walt:. I was born in Pittsburgh,Pa,but moved to Ambler,Pa when I was around 2. I grew up in Ambler,and moved to North Carolina in 1976.
Me: What's your age? Walt: 55


Me: How do you stay in such great physical condition?
Walt: I routinely do core exercises like pull-ups,sit ups,leg lifts,hand stand push-ups,and dips.I supplement those exercises with some cable work ,and bench press.I also stay in shape through the warm months by waterskiing.

Me: What advice would you give someone in their 50s trying to get in-shape?
Walt: My advice for someone in their 50's is just get up and do something! Push ups are a great way to start an exercise regimen.Then progress to weights if so inclined ,or stay with core like pull ups. Stretching is also a necessary key to a successful,and safe exercise regimen.

 
Me: What would be your advice to anyone who wants to start an exercise program on matter their age? Walt: I would say the same thing for anyone as above.
 
Me: Who has been the greatest influence in your life and why? Walt: The greatest influence in my life would be Richard Landis. I grew up with,and was best friends with his son Rick. He was a Naval fighter pilot in the Korean war,and I have always respected him for everything that he is. I have learned so much from him,and have him to thank for getting me on track to be fit for life. When I was a freshman in college,I put on a few pounds.He noticed it ,and commented on that fact. I respected him so much,and did not want to disappoint him in any way. I went back to school and hit the gym hard 5-7 days a week. I haven't looked back since then,and never stopped working out

Me: What is your profession?
Walt: I am a Pharmacist.

 
Me: What's your biggest dream? Walt: My biggest dream is for my wife and I to be the best grandparents we can be for my son's kids one day.


Me; What's your greatest accomplishment?
Walt: My biggest accomplishment is my son. I could not be prouder of him as he is an accomplished athlete,scholar,and just an outstanding person through and through.



Walt, thanks for the interview and for being an inspiration to everyone.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think. All comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you