Saturday, April 2, 2016

My First Powerlifting Competition at the Age of 57


Image result for powerlifting

I've written many posts about inspirational people over the age of 50 and now I'm trying to become one.  I plan to compete in my first powerlifting competition at the age of 57.  Although I've competed in many bodybuilding competitions, powerlifting is a whole new venue for me.  I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

Powerlifting is a sport that involves the following three lifts;  bench press, deadlift, and squat.  You do each lift with as much weight as possible and the combination of all three lifts is totaled for your overall score.  The person with the highest total weight of the three lifts is the winner. 

The competition is broken-up by age group, and weight class, to give every competitor an even playing field.  I will be competing in the Masters 55-59 age group in the 100 kg (220 lb) weight class.  Being as competitive as I am I have already researched the State Record for my age and weight class and it's pretty hefty; a 347 lb bench press, a 545 lb squat, and a 524 lb deadlift  for a grand total of 1416 lbs!  However, that doesn't frighten me because my goal is to set a new State Record.  I will keep you informed of my progress and the date of the competition.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think. All comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you