Friday, October 23, 2015

You Don't Have to Lose Muscle With Age



I'm a personal trainer and published author with over 20 years of experience in the health and fitness industry.  My mission in life is to help people get healthy, get fit, and to stay strong their whole lives.  Mounting evidence is now proving that exercise and getting the proper amount of quality protein in your diet are two of the most effective things you can do to stay healthy and strong as you age.  Many of the health issues previously attributed to aging are now believed to be linked to inactivity, and poor dietary habits.

Studies show that after of the age of 40 people who are inactive typically lose 8 percent of their muscle mass each decade, and this process accelerates with age.  Loss of muscle mass means loss of strength, which leads to increased difficulty in performing the everyday activities of life. 

The above scenario is not so for people over 40 who lift weights at least 2 times per week and get the proper amount of quality protein in their diets.  I can attest to this, I'm in my mid-50s, I haven't loss any muscle mass, and I'm as strong, and as fit as ever.  I lift weights 3 to 4 times each week, and I consume about 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of my body weight each day (which is almost twice the normal recommendation for daily protein intake).

Weight lifting breaks down your muscles and your body responds by building stronger muscles if it is supplied with the proper amount of quality protein.  I target all the major muscle groups in my body at least once each week in my weight lifting routine and I immediately have a post workout meal consisting of at least 21 grams of high quality protein for maximum muscle recovery.  Having at least 21 grams of protein immediately following exercise signals your body that it has enough protein to start repairing and rebuilding your muscles.

You can find out more about my weight lifting routines at Forever Fit and Firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think. All comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you